Currently for Staff only
For Instructors: MS Teams is not supported for teaching and learning at RRU. You can contact your CTET liaison to explore existing tools that can support online learning in groups.
For students: MS Teams is not supported for teaching and learning at RRU. Please contact your instructor to explore existing tools that can support online learning in groups.
Creating a team in Teams
Joining a Team
If you were already added to a team, you can see a list of your teams by selecting the teams icon on the left hand column.
If you have no teams listed then you can join a team
- Started by clicking on the Join or create team link in the top right
- Choose Join a Team
- Enter the code provided by the team owner
Add a Member to Teams and assign them roles
Once your team has been setup the way you want it, you can add members to the team.
- Select your Team
- Press the three dots next to your team name and choose Add Member
- You can now search by name, username, or email address. As long as they have a valid RRU account, you should be able to find them. Please be aware that some people might have a Student and Staff account. Please be careful to select the appropriate account. You cannot add shared accounts like "Admissions" or "Computer Services" or distribution lists (despite it saying you can)
- Once you find the name, select it if you want to change the role. By Default the role will be member. "Owner" gives them the ability to add names themselves
Computer Services does not have any special admin powers to manage the teams and channels created by each department. We recommend that multiple owners be added for each team so that there is redundancy due to sickness or if staff leave.
- Now you can search for more names or press the Send Request button
- An email will be sent to the person. When they click on the invitation, Teams will launch. They will need to log in, but then the team will appear in the Teams list
Should I make a channel, private channel or request a team?
Criteria for decision making:
Is there already a team that has these people as team members?
Does this work need to be kept private from others?
Are there multiple distinct topics to discuss?
Create a private channel in the existing team or consider creating dedicated private channels for each topic.
Create a private channel in the existing team.
Create a channel in the existing team.
Consider creating a new team.
Consider creating a new team and then, depending on the confidentiality of each topic, consider creating separate standard or private channels for each topic.
Create a new team and consider creating a private channel.
Create a channel
Teams can have multiple channels, which are the conversations or rooms you have with your teammates. Each channel should be dedicated to a specific topic, department, or project.
- So start, Right click on your Team and select Add a Channel
- Provide a Name and a Description (optional)
- You can also make this room Standard (accessible by all) or Private (You decide who has access)
- When you are satisfied with the settings, click Add
Additional information can be found here
Customize channel notifications
By default the channel notifications might be "off". It is recommended that you change these notfications if you want to stay on top of the conversations.
- Select the 3 dots → Channel notifications
- Choose the settings you want for All new post, replies and channel mentions.
- (Banner and feed means you will get a small notification banner pop up on your computer)
- Click Save to save the changes
Hide or show a channel
A great way to clean up your list and focus on the teams and channels you're active in is to hide the ones you are not interested in.
- From within the channel click on the 3 dots and select Hide
- If you want to unhide the channel, select hidden channels → Show.
How to Pin Channels
Global pinning is not currently functional, so users will have to pin their own channels.
- Click on the 3 dots → Pin (to the right of the channel that you want to pin)
- The pinned channel will now appear at the top of the left panel
Must be in List View
You have to be in list view to pin. Grid view doesn't allow you to pin.
- To change the view click on your name icon in the top right and select Settings
- Select General on the left
- Choose List under Layout
- Close the