How to enter a new CAMP record:
First Start CAMP and look for an existing account
- Click on New Account
Enter the first and last name of the person for whom you wish to enter a record, then click Look For Existing Account
When looking for a previous account please check for variations of names like Bob vs Rob vs Robert. Did they user their maiden/married name the first time they worked here?
If they previously worked here you must re-activate the previous account. If a second account is created accidentally, you will be requested to close the second account because we cannot have 2 accounts for the same person. This can cause confusion for the returning employee.
The only exception is with Students. Student accounts must be separate from a Staff/Faculty/Associated Faculty/Temp/Volunteer so a CAMP request must be created and they should be treated as "New to RRU".I found a match
If there had been a match found, then you would click on the Use this Account button. You will then be shown the existing CAMP information. Correct and update the information as required.
Once the information is correct, you will be required to click on the Change Termination Date button and specify a new termination date.
Also, since this account is currently inactive, please click on the Re-Activate Account button.and then take one of two available options.
No matter what else you change here, no automation exists. It will be necessary for you to submit a ticket to IT Services via http://computerservices.royalroads.ca. Say that you just reactivated a CAMP record for so-and-so and you'd like to arrange for... and give us all the information covered in the "Providing all the right information" section below.I found a match but their name has changed since they last worked here?
If their name has changed since they were last employed at RRU, please proceed with re-activating the existing CAMP request as instructed in "I found a match: above, but notify Computer Services as soon as possible. Name changes are very time consuming but a lot faster to complete if we can do the name change BEFORE their account is created (approximately 2hrs or less after the CAMP record is approved)I did not find a match
If no match is found, and you have checked all variations of their name, please click to the second step Proceed with New Account Request and confirm you are certain there is no other account by clicking OK
Second, creating the new account
You will now use these tabs to identify the requirements for the new employee
Enter the Account Type (used for the Computer Account)
Account Type Changes the Tabs
If the Account Type is "Staff", you'll see an "HR Information" tab. If the Account Type is "Contractor/Associate Faculty", you'll see a "Finance Information" tab. If the Account Type is neither of those, then you won't see either tab
- Enter the Primary Group (Used to decide which default O: drive location is provided)
- Camp Supervisor (who will get the CAMP updates and warning of account expiration - Not to be confused with the actual supervisor, although it could be the same person. The Manager or Reports Tofield in Outlook is actually populated by the Payroll department)
- First Name (Legal name, NOT used for Computer Account or email address in Outlook)
- Last Name (used for Computer Account and Email address in Outlook)
Preferred Name (used for Computer Account and Email address in Outlook)
Correct Spelling is Extremely Important
A name change after the account is created is a very tedious and time consuming process that includes at least 3 teams to complete. Please check and double check the spelling of the First, Preferred and Last Name.
Does Robert want to be called Bob? The preferred name is how the email/account will be created. Robert might want to be called Bob. Doug, might prefer to be called Douglas. Please ensure this is entered correctly, because a change after the account is created is also considered a name change with the same tedious procedure.
- Job Title (displayed in Outlook)
- Office Location (important for inventory and displayed in Outlook).
- Home Address and related fields (not displayed anywhere but in CAMP)
- Work Phone (displayed in contact page, displayed in email, used in inventory)
- Home Phone (not displayed anywhere but in CAMP)
- Cell Phone (not displayed anywhere but in CAMP)
- Fax Number(displayed in contact page, displayed in email, used in inventory)
Personal Email (This is used to create ZZ contact required for password reset)
Personal Email Address is important and must be unique
Having a personal email address on file allows for someone to reset their password themselves 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. This can be a lifesaver on a weekend.
The email address MUST be unique. If the email address is in use (ie. already used with their student account or by their spouse) then we suggest using another email address. Tip: Gmail address ignore any "." before the @ symbol. So if dbrown@gmail,com is used by a student account, try firstname.lastname@example.org. Our system will think the email address is unique, by Gmail treats both email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org as the same email address.
Special Note: If you create the account first, and then add or change the personal email address after, you MUST notify Computer Services. Changes made to this field after the CAMP account is created do not replicate to any other system.
Exclude from WWW Directory and Exclude from Internal Directories should not be checked unless agreed to by Human Resources. The default is to leave the boxes unchecked.
The "System Identification" tab is not available to everyone so do not be alarmed if you do not see it on your screen
This tab can be skipped
- Keys Requested and Keys Details (used by Security)
- Start Date (important for scheduling installation of hardware and software but does not affect account creation)
- Computer Account Expires (This date can be only a maximum to 2 years in the future. Account Supervisor will be notified in the weeks leading up to the account expires date)
- Is there a phone already in place for this person? and Do they require one? (This can be a confusing question. We need to know if the person already has an extension or not, and if they do, what is the extension? You can add this info to the Comments field later on)
- Is there a requirement for a Long Distance Code? (no longer necessary on campus)
- Is there a Computer already in place for this person? and Do they require one? (This can be a confusing question. We need to know if the person already has a computer or not, and if they do, what are the tag number(s)? You can add this info to the Comments field later on)
- Identity Card Required? (used by Campus services)
This tab is only available if you are entering a record for an account type of "Staff".
HR would prefer that nothing is entered into these fields for privacy reasons
(Competition number can be entered as this is not private, but is not required)
This tab will only appear if you are entering a record for an account type "Contractor/Associate Faculty".
Fiance would prefer that nothing is entered into these fields for privacy reasons
The information on this page is already provided using the "Contractor Information Form"
This section is intended to identify application requirements.
Please note that if "training is required" is selected, in certain cases training is provided by peers and not the Computer Services department.
- Agresso Financial (now called Unit4 Financial. You may select this or contact Business Planning directly. This must be approved by them and a non-disclosure agreement signed. Once approved BP will contact us to provide permissions. Training provided by peers or arranged through BP)
- Agresso Student (now called Unit4 Education. You may select this or contact ASW Administrator directly. This must be approved by them and a non-disclosure agreement signed. Once approved ASW will contact us to provide access and permissions. Training provided by peers or arranged through ASW Administrators)
- Avanti (Please provide computer name in comments tab. Training provided by peers)
- Course Evaluation Survey Admin (now called SurveyMonkey. Training provided by peers)
- CRM (Please provide computer name in comments tab. Training provided by peers)
- CTET (no longer provided)
- EMS (Basic EMS access is provided to all staff for booking resources. Only check off if you require additional access like:
- EMS Campus Admin (Only available to Academic Scheduling, Campus Services Schedulers and Admin, some Production, IT Helpdesk, Media Tech, Security and Habitat. If you need this access please identify later in the Comments tab)
- EMS Web User Group (If you need this access please identify the group later in the Comments tab)
- EMS Process Template (If you need this access please identify room or resource later in the Comments tab)
Just like the title suggests, add any comments here. Please note that to save time, enter the information noted on the previous tabs like computer name, existing extension, EMS groups, EMS Room or Resource,, or any additional requirement not listed on other pages are already provide with the computer.
A list of other things you could request can be found here.
Finally after the comments have been entered and you've verified all the information provided, you can click the "Create Account" button to start the ball rolling.
What happens now?
Depending on the account type, the CAMP account request can go through a number of steps.
Staff and Faculty accounts go to HR for approval, and the Finance for approval. Once approved, an email is sent to "Arrivals and departures" and the account is automatically created within 2 hours, Monday to Friday from 8am to 4pm. The account info is sent to the Account Supervisor
HR normally verifies the following:
Personal Information tab
- confirming the individual is indeed being hired as an employee and therefore the account type is correctly noted as ‘Staff’
- the correct supervisor is noted
- the correct position title is noted
- double checking all the name fields are correct and perhaps address too (although address is less important and ultimately is private personal information that also should be removed from CAMP – currently under review by IT security staff)
- confirming the start date is correct
- perhaps a ‘courtesy’ double-checking of some of the phone/computer requirements if it is a new position (not a replacement employee for an existing position/workspace)
- might glance for information and to confirm no private information disclosed
Volunteer and Temp accounts will go to Arrivals and Departures immediately. The account is automatically created within 2 hours, Monday to Friday from 8am to 4pm. The account info is sent to the Account Supervisor
Associate Faculty accounts will go to Arrivals and Departures immediately. The account is automatically created within 2 hours, Monday to Friday from 8am to 4pm. The account info is sent to the Account Supervisor and to the Associate Faculty.