A personal distribution list allows you to create your own personalized e-mail distribution list of internal and/or external e-mail addresses. This can be very useful feature for communicating with groups of people where it is not appropriate to have a publicly available distribution list.
Creating a Distribution list
- With Outlook open up your Contact List (Ctrl-3)
- Click the New Contact Group button
- Type the name of the new distribution list
- Click on the Add Members button to choose which contacts to add
From Outlook Contcts - List of email addresses you have created
From Address Book - List of email addresses in our global address list
New Email Contact - Allows you to create a new Outlook Contact and add it to the distribution list
- When you are done entering the names, press the Save and Close button
For more information on using and organizing your outlook contacts, please visit: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC011036431033
Sending your Personal Distribution list to someone else
You can send your Personal Distribution List to another user.
The steps to follow in Outlook are:
- Open up your Contacts (ctrl-3)
- Right-Click on the distribution list, and select Forward Contact --> As an Outlook Contact
- Now compose your message as normal and hit Send
- The recipient will need to open the Distribution List attachment (double-click) and click Save and Close.
This is not a replacement to having a global RRU Distribution List created. This is for special purposes when you need to email the same people (internal and external) frequently. A Personal Distribution List will not be shared in the Global Address List.
If you want a new Distribution List added to the Global list on the Outlook server so others can share it, so our article on Requesting a new Global Distribution list.