Use this setup if you wish to receive your RRU e-mail using your iPhone or iPad. Although these instructions are intended for iPhone/iPad users, the information is similar for all smart phone devices.
Special note to students
By default access to this services is disabled for students. Please Contact Computer Services to activate this service.
Shared Mailbox not available remotely
Please note that shared mailbox are not available remotely through mail apps. To access a shared mailbox while off campus, please use Webmail (students/staff/faculty) or Sentinel (staff/faculty only) .
A few things to note before you proceed:
- Before you proceed please read about the Smartphone/Tablet security policy.
- You must have forwarding turned OFF to be able to see email on the server.
- Staff and Faculty will not see their Online Archive folder (not enabled for students)
- You cannot use the Microsoft Outlook app for iOS.
You will need to know the following information:
- Your Academic Account Username (the username you use to log into Moodle)
- Your Academic Account Password (the password you use to log into Moodle)
- Your RRU Email Address
If you are not sure of this information, please contact Computer Services. During regular business hours, please contact Computer Services by phone otherwise, you can contact us by email or Online Request Form.
- Turn forwarding OFF
- On your iPhone, click on the Settings icon
- Select Passwords and Accounts
- Click on Add Account...
- Select Microsoft Exchange
- Enter the following information
- Email is your RRU Email account (email@example.com. Please note that if your RRU username has a number in it that your email address will be firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password is your regular RRU password that you use to log into Moodle or MyRRU
- Description can be anything, I suggest RRU Email
- Click Next to continue. You might get a warning that the server cannot verify the information, continue anyways
- New Fields will appear, enter the following additional information:
- Server is Webmail.royalroads.ca
- Domain is Instructional
- Username is your regular RRU username you use to log into Moodle or MyRRU
- Password is your regular RRU password you use to log into Moodle or MyRRU
- Click Next to continue
- After verification, you will see a list of items that are available to you to sync. This is your choice. Please note that due to the large number of RRU contacts, you will be able to search the contacts only. They will NOT be added to your contact list.
- Once you have decided what you want to sync, click on Save
- Once it is complete you will return to the Mail, Contacts, Calendar page, just close the page.
You should now be able to open up your mail application and view your RRU email. Please allow 10-15 seconds before the email starts downloading and it can take a few minutes for everything to download depending on the quantity of emails. If you have just turned off forwarding then you will probably have no emails at all. Send a test message from another account to make sure it is working.
A few things to be aware of
- If you have multiple mailboxes, you can switch mailboxes by clicking on the upper left icon while viewing your mail. This will allow you to view all your mailboxes, or each mailbox individually.
- Please note that if you delete a message on your iPhone/iPad, it will be deleted from your RRU mailbox. You will find the messages in your deleted items.
- Because forwarding has been turned off, Students are now subject to the 60mb limit for email storage and staff are subject to the 160mb limit. Please manage your email accordingly.
- Staff/Faculty - you will also be subject to the Smartphone/Tablet Security Policy