Student Card system - set up of student records
Per Royal Roads policy, a student may have access to university services beginning 60 days before the start of their program. To ensure all student cards provided to students follow this policy, the student records are only imported into the Student Card System 60 days prior to their program’s start date.
Once the record is in the Student Card System, it is possible to create and print a student card for the student.
60 days is not the same as 2 months.
Student Information System - import of student photos
Photos taken with the Student Card System are exported manually into a folder on the network. The exports are done as needed throughout the day, using various filters to catch as many or as few photos as necessary. On Friday afternoons, a global export of all photos taken in the past week or two is run to ensure no photo was missed.
Once a photo has been exported out of the Student Card System, there are two automated jobs that prepare the photo for import and then do the import into the Student Information System (SIS):
- Weekdays, at 11:00 am, 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm:
- All photos that were exported since time this job ran, are copied into a location where the SIS expects to find them.
- The files are renamed using the convention that the SIS is expecting
- Weekdays, at 11:30 am, 2:30 pm and 5:30 pm:
- All the photos that are sitting in the correct place and named correctly are imported into the SIS.
- As each photo is processed, it is renamed and moved so, it doesn't get imported more than once.
For example; a photo that is exported before 11:00 am should be in the SIS a few minutes after 11:30 am. The same for photos exported before 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm.