- This line was added.
- This line was removed.
- Formatting was changed.
Office 365 is available for FREE for all RRU staff, faculty, associate faculty and full time (credit) students. (Students that only have a Continuing Studies - CSOnline.Royalroads.ca - account are not eligible. Thesis Committee members and Supervisors are eligible for an Online only version of Office 365.)
This software should not be installed on RRU owned laptops, desktops or console computers due to compatibility issues with other RRU applications. The Office applications can be installed on RRU cellphones.
What is Office 365?
Office 365 is a mix between web-based versions, mobile versions and fully functioning software versions of Microsoft Office. Office 365 is delivered to users through the cloud and includes the following:
- A full version of the traditional Microsoft Office suite of applications which can be installed on up to 5 PCs or Macs. This includes:
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Outlook (Not available on iOS and Android)
- Microsoft Access (Not available for Mac)
- Microsoft OneNote
- Microsoft Publisher (Not available for Mac)
- Microsoft OneDrive (1 terabyte of free space)
- A web based version of the same Microsoft office software listed above available on any computer with an Internet connection. Note Microsoft Outlook is not available as a web based application.
- You are also able to use unrestricted versions on Microsoft Office for iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile on 5 tablets (Windows, iPad, and Android) and 5 phones (Windows, iPhones, and Android)
Just to clarify: Office 365 is a subscription. Once you have installed the software you will have the latest version of Microsoft office installed available for your computer and operating system. .
Why would you want to use it? If you already have the latest version of Microsoft Office then you might not want to switch to this subscription based service. However when you sign up for the Microsoft 365, you get so much more functionality and are able to install the software on up to 15 different devices (5 computers, 5 tablets and 5 phones). Also you are still able to use your current version of Microsoft Office if you wish, even with this subscription.
What are the terms and conditions?
You will have free access to Office 365 for as long as you have an active computer account at RRU. When your RRU Computer Account (Academic Account) is closed, access to the software will be removed (within 30 days).
- Students - you are registered in a program and actively taking courses
- Faculty - you are actively teaching
- Staff - you are currently working
Please note that the software will continue to work while on-leave or between contracts - as long as you have an active computer account.
What are the system requirements?
Office 365 requires Windows 7 or higher. Mac users need OS X 10.10 (or later). You'll also need Internet access to install Office 365 and to activate and manage your subscription (once a month). You'll need a compatible browser. IE 9, Firefox 12, Safari 5, or Chrome 18. Regarding hardware, at the very least, your local system will need the following.
- 1 GHz processor or Intel processor (for Macs).
- 1 GB or RAM (32-bit); 2 GB RAM (64-bit).
- 3 GB of available hard disk space; 2.5 GB for Macs.
When I say at the very least, I mean that Office 365 will run, but it will be slow (really slow... really, really slow). Users with older systems might face significant upgrade costs before they can move to Office 365.
I understand, what do I do next?
If you are ready and you understand the agreement, please proceed to the instructions to Log into your Office 365 Account.
|Content by Label|
Still need help?