Use the URL resource when you want to link to a web page that is external to the course page (e.g., https://crossroads.royalroads.ca/) or online file. It can also be used to link to a resource or activity within your Moodle course.
How To Add An URL
Continue with a video presentation and/or read below for text:
1. From the main course page, click the Gear Icon in the top right corner, then click on Turn editing on.
2. Locate the unit in your course where you want to add an URL. Click the Add an activity or resource drop-down menu, choose URL.
3. Type a name into the Name field. This will appear as the activity title. The Description field is optional. Add a description that summarizes the URL's content if desired.
4. In the Content field, type or paste a copied external URL.
The Choose a link button opens the file picker where you can choose URLs from online areas such as YouTube, Box.net, Picasa, Merlot, etc., (not currently enabled in RRU's Moodle installation).
5. In Appearance, use the Display drop-down menu to choose how you want the URL to be handled. New window is the default, which will cause the link to open in a new tab in most web browsers. If you are linking to a page within the Moodle course site it should be set to Open, which will open the link in the current tab. If you are linking to a page that is external to the Moodle course site then it should be set to New window.
6. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save and return to course.