This document explains how to edit a Moodle course schedule using the Moodle text editor.
If you're frustrated with trying to format a table correctly or you're hoping to do something more complicated than what is listed here, please contact Studio or the Learning Technologist assigned to your course for further assistance.
These instructions are for the new schedule format. In the new schedule format the cells in the left column will all be blue. If they're not all blue then you are still using the old schedule format and are welcome to contact CTET to request that your schedule be converted to the new format which is much easier to edit.
Topics Covered In This Article
- How to insert a new table row
- How to delete a table row
- How to move a table row
- How to add activity and resource icons
- Schedule Editing Tips
How to insert a new table row
Rows can be inserted after the currently selected row, and it will insert an empty row below the selected row.
- To insert a new row, select the row you'd like the new row to appear under (note that you cannot select the first row).
- Click on the table icon from the editor window. Click on Insert row after from the menu. If the correct menu doesn't appear try selecting another cell in the row.
- A new table row will appear.
How to delete a row
- To delete a table row, select the row to be deleted.
- Click the table icon in your editor window and click Delete row from the down menu. If the correct menu doesn't appear try selecting another cell in the row.
- The table row will be deleted.
How to move a table row
- Select the table row you would like to move up or down.
- Click the table icon in the editor window and select either Move row up or Move row down depending on what you want.
How to add activity and resource icons
Activity and resource icons are added the same way that emoticons (e.g., smiley face) are added.
- To add an emoticon, select the location in the schedule that you would like to insert the emoticon.
- Select the emoticon menu button from the editor toolbar.
- Select the desired emoticon. Activity and resource icons are at the bottom of the emoticon list. If you cannot see the bottom of the list use control-minus to shrink your display (control-zero to reset this).
Note that emoticons use placeholder text that will convert into the emoticon once your save. So if you insert an assignment icon you will see (assignment-icon) while editing the document, but it will show the assignment icon once you save.
Schedule Editing Tips
- Plain Text Paste: If you want to paste content into the Moodle text editor without any formatting (no text sizes, bold, etc.), you can do a 'plain text paste'. In Windows with Chrome or Firefox you can achieve this by using Control+Shift+V when pasting in content. On a Mac the key combination is Option+Shift+Command+V.
- Pasting Content Into The Schedule Creates Extra Table Cells: If you find that pasting content into a table is creating additional table cells within the table and messing up the formatting, consider the following:
- Try pasting the content into Word and then copy and paste it into Moodle.
- If on Chrome, using a plain text paste or copying from a plain text editor such as notepad can cause this.
- Switching to Firefox for editing in Moodle appears to always solve this problem.